Developing business is mainly the role of partners at professional services firms. While products can be sold by salespeople, professional services are linked to the person of the consultant. Therefore, consultants’ participation in the business development process is indispensable.
Nevertheless, there are several reasons why it can be beneficial for partners to involve business development specialists in their BD activities. If you consider at least two or three of the points below important and you think your firm could improve in those areas, I can be of your assistance.
- Thorough understanding of client portfolio
- Knowledge about the clients’ companies and their industries
- Organising and utilizing company information (CRM)
- Having a business plan
- Running a business strategy based on the plan
- Developing business according to the strategy
- Using marketing tools that support the business development goals
- Consistent targeting activity
- Putting high emphasis on USPs (Unique Selling Proposition)
- Measuring and evaluating the business development activity